Compare the best and cheapest car insurance quotes in London
London is one of the most exciting cities in southwestern Ontario. The city is home to respected postsecondary schools, thriving businesses and unique residents. Not to mention, London is a short drive from hotspots like Niagara Falls, making it an excellent place for people who like to go on adventures with their friends or family.
One of the lesser-known facts about London is that car insurance can be rather expensive. The price of car insurance in London is influenced by the wide age range of its residents and the large number of nearby highways. If you’ve been looking for cheap auto insurance in London, you should consider teaming up with a Surex insurance advisor.
At Surex, we can provide drivers with up to ten car insurance quotes in less than ten minutes. However, these aren’t your run-of-the-mill car insurance quotes — our team works with the most respected car insurance providers in the country. Because of this, you have access to reliable, affordable auto insurance quotes that are guaranteed to exceed your expectations.
Car Insurance in London - What You Need to Know
At Surex, our three-step process will ensure that you end up with the best and cheapest car insurance available in London. Here’s how it works:
- Personalized auto insurance quotes — Surex will capture some of your basic information — either by phone or online — and then shop the market for you. In under ten minutes, you’ll have up to ten personalized car insurance insurance offers to choose from.
- Customize your offers — Once you receive the initial quote, you can edit your information and compare quotes to find the best overall value.
- Purchase and manage 24/7 — Once you’ve selected a quote and reviewed the policy with your dedicated assistant, you can electronically sign documents to receive instant proof of insurance. If you’d rather speak with someone we will connect you with a dedicated insurance assistant to walk you through all the options and answer any questions you might have. Once finished, your documents will arrive in the mail and you can manage your policy 24/7 with our ‘My Surex’ login feature.
- Highway bound — Whether it’s the mighty Highway 401, or the series of smaller highways that criss-cross the region, driving in London means getting comfortable in and around busy highways. As with any high-speed, high-traffic routes, always give yourself lots of time to account for congestion, accidents, detours, or poor driving conditions.
- Snow belt — London is situated in the heart of Ontario’s major ‘snow belt’. This means that the lake effect generated by the surrounding Great Lakes results in higher annual snowfall in London than in many of the surrounding cities and towns. In London’s harsh winters, all of the usual winter driving tips are especially important to follow: install approved winter tires, drive slowly and with caution, keep a snow scraper and an emergency kit in your vehicle, consider getting a roadside assistance coverage package, avoid using cruise control (especially in icy conditions), and learn how to handle skidding.
- Pay extra attention at intersections — London is full of busy intersections, many of which see high rates of vehicular and pedestrian accidents. Commissioners and Wellington — one of the city’s busiest intersections — is especially prone to accidents. Whether you’re on foot or operating a vehicle, approach junctures with a high degree of caution.
- Mind the construction — London’s downtown is undergoing a major (and overdue) overhaul. While the city’s aged infrastructure gets rejuvenated, drivers should be mindful of detours, closed routes, narrowed lanes, overhead construction, congestion, construction workers, and slower driving conditions. Construction can be frustrating to navigate with a vehicle, but when it comes to driving, cooler heads always prevail.
- One-way streets — London has its fair share of one-way streets and avenues, often serving to calm traffic in residential areas and around the downtown. If you’re not familiar with London, use a GPS device to help you navigate the city’s tricky routes. If you are familiar with the city, always be mindful of traffic flow, pedestrian crossings, speed bumps, and other traffic-calming measures.
- Review your policy annually — The car insurance rates in London can change regularly, as can your driving and living situation, so the single most important way to be sure you’re paying the lowest amount possible for car insurance is by going online and comparing the rates offered by different insurance providers. It only takes a few minutes to get an updated quote each year — but make sure you do it prior to your policy renewing. Comparing car insurance rates is easy, free, and can result in major savings to your annual premium.
- Consider insurance when selecting a vehicle — Many new vehicles come equipped with the latest safety technology, which can attract safe drivers, making them cheaper to insure in London. Other new vehicles attract ‘sportier’ drivers and are more likely to be stolen, resulting in insurance companies to view them as high-risk — and as such, can be more expensive to insure. It’s important to consider insurance when selecting a new vehicle. Take a few minutes to run multiple vehicle scenarios on a rate comparison site, like Surex, to get an idea of how much you would pay for different makes and models.
- Investigate discounts — Drivers are often unaware of how many auto insurance discounts are available. When speaking to your personal insurance assistant, be sure to ask about what discounts you qualify for. Some of the discounts to consider include: Conviction-Free, Car Safety Technology, Driver’s Education, Good Student, Private Garage Parking, CAA Membership, Eco Vehicle, and Early Renewal.
- Discounts for certain professions — Are you a nurse or teacher? Police officer or pilot? Retiree? Be sure to let your dedicated insurance assistant know what you do for a living, and you may be pleasantly surprised to find that you qualify for cheap car insurance in London. On the flip side, if insurers view your occupation as ‘high-risk’, there’s a chance your premium could see a rise in price, so be prepared for that as well.
- Springbank Park
- Gibbons Park
- Medway Valley Heritage Forest
- CF Masonville Place
- White Oaks Mall
- SmartCentres London Northwest
- Banting House National Historic Site
- Storybook Gardens
- Eldon House
Do you have questions about car insurance in London?
Car insurance in London can be expensive — which is why it is so important to do everything possible to lower your rate. Some ways to find lower car insurance in London include shopping around for the most competitive rates on sites like Surex, bundling insurance policies with the same company, asking a dedicated insurance assistant about discounts, paying for the annual premium in one lump sum, signing up for telematics (or usage-based insurance), lowering the amount of kilometres driven annually, and only paying for coverages that are needed.
Technically, yes, because car insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver. So if you don’t have an insurance policy of your own, and you borrow your friend’s car, you can drive it with the protection of their insurance policy. However, car owners should keep in mind that if an accident occurs while their car is being loaned to another driver, it will affect the car owner’s premium (not the premium of a car-borrower). So be sure you trust anyone that you lend your vehicle to, especially if you want to have cheap auto insurance in London.
Car insurance rates in London are determined by insurance companies examining a number of factors, some of which are in the control of the driver, some of which are not in the control of the driver. These factors include driver information (age, gender), the city in which the driver and car reside, driving history, vehicle make and model, the type of insurance coverage selected, the occupation of the driver, government regulations, and the purpose and usage of the vehicle.
Because newer vehicles are more costly to replace, they can sometimes cost more to insure than older vehicles. But that’s not always the case. Factors such as new safety technology and the ease of finding replacement parts mean that newer vehicles can actually be cheaper to insure than difficult-to-repair and less safe older models. The important thing to remember is that insurance companies are more concerned with the make and model of a vehicle than the age of a vehicle. This is because vehicle types tend to attract certain kinds of drivers, and drivers are key factors in assessing risk and determining rates.
London drivers are required to have a minimum of $200,000 worth of Third Party Liability Coverage, which protects them against any damages they may cause to third party in an at-fault accident, in addition to Statutory Accident Benefits Coverage, Direct Compensation & Property Damage Coverage, and Uninsured Automobile Coverage. Beyond the mandatory insurance coverages, London drivers can opt to add a number of coverages to their auto insurance policy, such as Collision and Comprehensive, which will keep them covered against a range of perils and damages that are unrelated to a vehicle accident, such as vandalism, theft, or certain weather-related damages.
In general, car insurance in London Ontario is fairly standard for southern Ontario cities. Since London is home to a lot of highway traffic and also has a large number of students, you can expect fairly standard insurance rates. London drivers aren't much more likely to make insurance claims than other Ontario drivers. Bear in mind that your own driving history is much more important when it comes to determining your insurance rate. If you're a safe driver with experience and no tickets or accidents, you're much more likely to pay lower rates than someone without those benefits. The premiums you pay will ultimately depend on the provider you decide to go with, and the plan they can offer you. Your Dedicated Insurance Advisor will help you by understanding your financial situation, driving history — you can use this new found knowledge to save on car insurance in London.
The first step is to talk to your Dedicated Insurance Advisor and get cheap London car insurance quotes that you can choose from. Your advisor will help you to understand what plans make sense for you by getting to know you and your individual needs. Once you have your auto insurance quotes, you can count on your advisor to help you to understand them and make a final decision.
Secondly, savings are linked to your driving record. You want to make sure that your driving record is clear of accidents and tickets as much as possible. The best ways to maintain a clean driving record include driving safely and not speeding. Since London gets a typical southwestern Ontario winter, you can count on snow tires coming in handy for winter driving.
Surex works with our auto insurance partners to find car insurance quotes in London that feature the coverage you need at a rate that makes sense. Since one of the best ways to find a great rate on car insurance in London is to get car insurance quotes from more than one insurer, Surex is committed to comparing quotes from all our applicable insurance partners to help you find auto insurance that makes sense for you.