Save up to 25% on home insurance in Yukon with Surex
Yukon is a rugged, beautiful territory known for its harsh winters and vast mountain ranges. These harsh conditions (along with several other variables) make finding cheap home insurance in Yukon quite difficult at times. If you're having a hard time finding cheap home insurance in Yukon, you’ve come to the right place…
At Surex, we’ve teamed up with the top home insurance companies in Canada in order to offer the best deals on home insurance in the Yukon. Once we’ve answered all of your questions about finding home insurance in Yukon, we can help you get insurance online quickly and easily! Reach out to the best insurance broker today to learn how to save up to 25% on the best insurance coverage in Yukon.
This provides coverage for loss and damage to your property and/or any assets.
This would provide protection against claims resulting from injuries, and damage to people and/or property.
A predetermined amount of money that you must pay towards the cost of the claim. Home insurance has different deductibles for different coverage.
These are optional coverages you can buy that protect you for water damage such as sewer back up and fresh water flooding.
This allows for the protection of your “claims free discount” in the event of your first claim
Referring to 'special limits' on items like Jewellery or Art if the value is greater than the special limit you should list the item separately.
When you purchase Comprehensive Home Coverage, it means you are covered for anything that is not excluded.
When you purchase Broad Home Coverage, it limits your contents coverage to only specific coverages, (ie. Theft, Fire, Water damage, etc.)
Home Insurance in Yukon - What You Need to Know
You will need the following information to get a quote from the top home insurance companies in Canada:
- Square footage of your home
- Year your home was built
- Details on any upgrades or modifications
- Your exact address
- Your personal home insurance claims history
The price of home insurance in Yukon is determined by a few key factors:
- Insurance data — The home insurance carriers in your area, both city and province, will have compiled data over the years relating to the amount of home insurance claims in your area. If you’re fortunate enough to live in an area where there haven't been many claims, then your home insurance rates will be lower, all things equal, compared to someone that lives in an area where there have been frequent home insurance claims.
- The value of your home — This is important as the company insuring your home will need to know the potential replacement cost of your home. Of course, they and you both hope they’ll never need to replace your home due to a claim.
- Your home insurance history — Home insurers are interested in your personal, prior home insurance claims history. If applicable, be prepared to share your most recent 10 years of home insurance history. If you don’t have ten years of home insurance history, you’ll need to disclose however many years you have.
Your Surex Personal Assistant wants to do everything they can to earn your business. One of the ways they do this is by trying to find you home insurance discounts, to help lower your home insurance rates even more. Potential discounts for home insurance include:
- Good credit discount
- Mortgage-free discount
- Renewal discount
- Occupational discount
- Alarm/home security discount
- Bundle discount
- Claims-free discount
- Sewer back-up discount
- New business discount
- Flex discount
- Loyalty discount
- Age discount
- Smoke-free home discount
- Household discount
- Multi-lines discount
- Gated community discount
The amount of home insurance coverage you “need” depends on what coverages insurers deem mandatory, in your area. Aside from whatever home insurance coverage is deemed mandatory, you can choose to add additional coverages, to give you the peace of mind that you and your home are covered just the way you like.
- Personal home insurance history — The home insurer in Yukon you choose to place your home insurance business with will need to know your past home insurance claims history. If applicable, they’ll need to know your most recent 10 years of home insurance claims history.
- Bill payment history — The home insurer you choose to place your business with will need to know your history of paying your home insurance bills. If you have a good track record, you’ll be able to choose whether you pay your annual home insurance premiums monthly or annually.
- Claims — This relates to the amount of home insurance claims insurers have had, or haven’t had, in your area. If you live in an area with minimal claims, then your home insurance will be less -- all things equal -- compared to a home in an area that has frequent home insurance claims.
- Coverage — Depending on where you live in Yukon, some home insurance coverages will be mandatory by the home insurer you’re looking to place your business with.
- Options — If a home insurance coverage isn’t mandatory, then you can choose whether to add it to your home insurance policy or not. Again, we want you to have the exact home insurance policy to match your needs. This is why we don’t do cookie-cutter home insurance policies.
- Deductible amount — The most common home insurance deductible amount in Yukon is $3000. This is the amount you, the insured, would need to pay -- out of your own pocket -- to activate your home insurance policy, in the event of a home insurance claim.
- Upgrades — If you live in an older home in Yukon and do certain upgrades, you can be eligible to lower your annual home insurance premium amount by up to 10%. These upgrades would include upgrading outdated electrical, upgrading your home’s plumbing and/or installing a sump pump or back flow valve.
- Security system — If you’re considering securing your home with a certified home automation system, this is a great way to protect your family as well as become eligible for a home security discount. A home security discount can save you up to 10% off your annual home insurance premium amount.
As Yukon’s online insurance marketplace, Surex has partnered with the top home insurers in Canada, namely Aviva, Intact and RSA, so you can compare insurance companies until you find the perfect insurance policy for you home.
Working with the top home insurers in Yukon, we want you to be able to have the exact home insurance policy you want and need. Customize your home insurance policy to give you peace of mind that you and your family are properly covered in the event of a home insurance claim.
In Yukon, there are two types of home insurance coverages to choose from: broad home insurance and comprehensive home insurance.
Broad home insurance:
Broad home insurance is the cheapest home insurance option available to you. Barring a peril being mandatory in your area of Yukon, you’ll be able to choose what perils you want to add to your home insurance policy. Perils include:
Comprehensive home insurance:
Comprehensive home insurance is the most extensive/expensive home insurance option available in Yukon. Comprehensive home insurance includes the previously mentioned perils in a broad home insurance policy, with the option to include coverage for unintentional damages and the mysterious disappearance of property and content.
- The Royals traveled there for their 2016 Canada Royal Tour
- Amazing Wildlife
- One of the best places to see the northern lights
- S.S. Klondike National Historic Site, Whitehorse
- Sign Post Forest, Watson Lake
- Caribou Crossing Trading Post, Carcross
- Dog Sled
- Hot Springs
- Watch Northern Lights
Do you have questions about home insurance in Yukon?
Unless a certain peril is mandatory in your area, or on your mortgage agreement, you can choose what coverages you’d like to add to your home insurance policy in Yukon.
A broad home insurance plan can include the following perils:
If you’d like coverage against unintentional damages or the mysterious disappearance of property, then you’ll want to go with a comprehensive home insurance plan from one of the top home insurance providers in Canada that services the Yukon.
This depends on the coverages you include on your home insurance policy. If you include windstorm damage as a peril you want to cover for then, in the event your home suffers wind damage, you’d be covered for it.
If you choose not to include vandalism as a peril on your home insurance policy then, if someone were to spray paint the side of your home, you would not have insurance coverage to fix this and would need to cover the whole cost of the repairs on your own.
There isn’t a set price that is good to use as a measuring stick for how much you should expect to pay for home insurance in Yukon. Your specific home insurance rate is largely determined by a few factors, including:
- The amount of coverage you choose to have
- The potential replacement cost of your home
- Your prior home insurance claims history
- The amount of recent claims home insurers have dealt with in your area
Unless a certain coverage is mandatory, you can choose to add any coverage available to you. Your Surex Personal Assistant will be able to answer any questions you have pertaining to coverages and what is/isn’t included within a home insurance policy in Yukon.
This depends on the coverage options you have chosen. If you have protection against certain water damages then, yes, your homeowners insurance would cover you in the event of a pipe bursting.
If you’re in an older home, some insurers will not provide coverage for damages caused from a broken pipe because the pipe material is so outdated and susceptible to causing damages.
A typical home insurance deductible amount in Yukon is $3000. Your home insurance deductible is the amount you need to pay, out of your own pocket, to activate your home insurance.
If you can afford to pay a higher deductible amount, like say $4000 or $5000, this will lower your annual home insurance premium amount.