Getting car insurance in Calgary doesn’t need to burn a hole in your wallet
Oil fields, the stampede and western apparel; these are some of the stereotypical things that many people think of when they hear the name Calgary. However, the city of Calgary has a diverse selection of attractions, along with a rich, unique history. Calgary is the birthplace of some of Canada’s favourite dishes, such as ginger beef. Not to mention, Calgary is known as the sunniest city in Canada, making it a fantastic destination for scenic summer drives in Alberta.
Speaking of driving, you’ve likely noticed that car insurance in Calgary can be rather expensive. This is due to numerous factors, including Calgary’s ever growing population. If you’re tired of overpaying for your auto insurance, you may want to consider re-shopping your policy. Re-shopping your policy can be stressful, especially if it’s your first time looking for a new car insurance plan.
If you’re having a hard time finding affordable car insurance in Calgary, the Surex team is here to lend a helping hand. At Surex, we take pride in our ability to provide the cheapest, most affordable car insurance quotes in Calgary. Our insurance advisors work side-by-side with the best insurance carriers in order to provide you with quotes that exceed your expectations.
Car Insurance in Calgary - What You Need to Know
- Compare your options — One of the most effective ways to lower your car insurance premium is by comparing your options. By visiting a rate comparison site, such as Surex, Calgary motorists can readily compare rates from a number of Canada’s foremost insurance providers. Instead of automatically renewing your car insurance with your current provider, take a couple of minutes and see what else is available. Because rates can change regularly — and because your personal driving situation can change, too — it’s important to get a new quote every year before your renewal. A small drop in your monthly payment can go a long way over the course of a year.
- Bundling discounts — Many Calgary drivers are also homeowners, and therefore hold multiple insurance policies. If you also own a home — or if you rent — speak with your dedicated insurance assistant about bundling your policies with the same insurer. Doing so can save you up to 10% on your home (or condo or tenant’s) insurance, and up to 15% on your vehicle insurance in Calgary. It’s also an easy way to sync your payments and streamline your finances.
- Complete a Safe Driver Training — Successfully completing a driver’s education course is a smart thing to do for a number of reasons. First of all, it’s a great way to learn the rules of the road and reduce your chances of being involved in a motor vehicle accident in Calgary. It’s also an easy way to save money on your car insurance premium. For their first three years on the road, Safe Driver Training graduates in Calgary can expect a discount of up to $1,500 on their annual insurance premium.
- Never miss payments — Insurance companies in Calgary love low-risk customers, and one of the easiest ways to show them that you're low-risk — in addition to driving safely and avoiding making claims — is by never missing a payment. Whether you automate payments through your bank account, or you provide your banking information to your insurer so they can withdraw monthly installments, the important thing to do is never miss a payment. Over time, your car insurance provider in Calgary will deem you a valuable, low-risk customer, and the price of your auto insurance premiums will reflect this.
At Surex, our three-step process will ensure that you end up with the best car insurance in Calgary. Here’s how it works:
- Personalized insurance quotes in Calgary — Surex will capture some of your basic information — either by phone or online — and then shop the market for you. In under ten minutes, you’ll have up to ten personalized insurance offers to choose from.
- Customize your offers — Once you receive the initial quote, you can edit your information and compare quotes to find the best overall value.
- Purchase and manage 24/7 — Once you’ve selected a quote and reviewed the policy with your dedicated assistant, you can electronically sign documents to receive proof of insurance in Calgary. If you’d rather speak with someone, we will connect you with a dedicated insurance assistant to walk you through all the options and answer any questions you might have. Once finished, your documents will arrive in the mail and you can manage your policy 24/7 with our ‘My Surex’ login feature.
- Be highway smart — Surrounded by no fewer than five major highways — the Trans-Canada Highway, Highway 1A, Highway 2, Highway 201, and Highway 8 — Calgary drivers are no strangers to congested freeways and speedy throughways. Before setting out on one of these major roadways, drivers should be prepared. We suggest the following tips:
- Plan your route in advance
- Ensure your vehicle is well-maintained
- Know how to handle poor weather conditions
- Drive confidently while sharing roadways with other drivers (particularly large trucks and trailers)
- Get ready for the snow —The city of Calgary is known for its heavy snowfall, so be sure you’ve checked off every item on your winter driving list, including properly inflated winter tires, a fully-stocked emergency kit (including blankets, non-perishable food items, drinking water, candles, matches, and flares), a gas tank that’s at least half full, a fully charged mobile phone, and pre-programmed GPS (never program of your navigation device while operating your vehicle). Additionally, we urge you to drive slowly and cautiously in wintery conditions; you’ll need more time for stopping, turning, and merging.
- Watch for pedestrians and cyclists — Although Calgary is known as a car city, many people get around on foot and bike. This is especially true in the downtown core, along with nearby schools and campuses. Always leave ample room for pedestrians and cyclists, be mindful of crosswalks and intersections, and drive carefully when driving through Calgary’s many residential neighbourhoods.
- Construction — Like many of Canada’s major cities, Calgary faces ongoing construction. As a driver, it’s your responsibility to pay attention to your surroundings. If you see construction, detours, narrowed lanes, workers, or machinery, proceed with caution. Dealing with construction can be frustrating for everyone in Calgary, but rushing can cause an accident, which will only make the situation worse.
- Bowness Park
- Edworthy Park
- Prince's Island Park
- CF Chinook Centre
- CORE Shopping Centre
- CF Market Mall
- Studio Bell, home of the National Music Centre
- Fort Calgary
- Calgary Tower
Do you have questions about car insurance in Calgary?
Auto insurance rates in Calgary are based on a number of variables, many of which vary from driver to driver. Therefore, it’s difficult to say how much auto insurance will cost. Insurance companies in Calgary consider the age, sex, gender, marital status, occupation, driving history, and location of the driver, in addition to things such as the make and model of the insured vehicle. From the perspective of insurance companies, the objective is to determine how likely you are to make a claim, and if a claim is made, how much that claim will cost them. Based on their calculations, they will determine if you’re a high-risk driver (higher rates), a low-risk driver (lower rates), or somewhere in the middle.
You don’t necessarily need a driver’s licence from Alberta in order to insure a car in Calgary. For instance, you can hold a license from another province or territory, but you do need to be a properly licensed driver in order to obtain auto insurance in Calgary. In addition to a valid driver’s license, you’ll need the following: driver’s education certificate (if you’ve completed a program), vehicle registration information, license plate number, driving history, information regarding all drivers who will regularly drive the vehicle, and payment information (void cheque, credit card information, bank account details).
Comparing your rate with Surex means that within a few minutes, you’ll be able to get quotes from up to ten of Canada’s leading auto insurance providers. You’ll not only find the lowest car insurance rates in Calgary, you’ll be able to speak with a qualified personal insurance assistant, who can help you determine what coverages you need and what discounts you qualify for.
Although collision and comprehensive auto insurance coverages are relatively similar and are often bundled together by insurers — they are in fact different coverages. Because of this, drivers in Calgary can typically elect to have different deductibles for each. Collision coverage protects the policyholder’s vehicle against damages resulting from an accident, whether or not it was an at-fault accident. On the other hand, comprehensive coverage protects your vehicle from all damages not related to an accident, such as theft, fire, vandalism, and weather-related perils. The two coverages are often bundled together to give vehicles the most robust form of protection available.
If the driver you intend to add to your policy is fully licensed, you can add them to your policy. But whether or not adding them will be cheap depends on a number of variables. Insurance companies in Calgary look at the additional driver’s age, sex, driving history, city of residence, frequency of vehicle use (who is the primary driver vs. who is the secondary driver), and vehicle make and model. While it’s tough to generalize, it’s safe to say that adding an inexperienced or high-risk driver to your policy will raise your premium more than adding an experienced, low-risk driver. To be sure, speak with your dedicated insurance assistant about how best to proceed.
Insurance rates in Calgary are on the high side for Alberta. Overall, Alberta residents pay lower insurance rates than other provinces, but Calgary is one of the highest insurance rate cities in Alberta. Your dedicated insurance assistant will help you get a car insurance quote that makes sense for you, based on your vehicle, driving habits, postal code, and previous insurance and driving history.
Surex will help you find an insurance rate that works for you by comparing insurance quotes from our Alberta insurance partners. The best way to find great insurance coverage with a rate that works for you is by comparing insurance quotes from more than one insurance company, and Surex specializes in helping you find competitive quotes from the most reliable insurers in Calgary.